Sunday, August 7, 2011

To Contemplate, and To Share with Others the Fruits of Our Contemplation: Feast of St. Dominic!

Hello, Coffee Talkers!

The Feast of St. Dominic is fast upon us, my friends, and I, for one, am quite excited about it!


St. Dominic was one of those saints that I didn't know much about during my life, but once I learned about his life, it left a lasting impression on me and helped me in the direction my own life has gone.

As some of you know, in a long ago time and a far away land called Nashville, I spent 9 lovely months living as a postulant (one who is discerning a call to religious life while living with a community) with the Dominican Sisters of St. Cecilia. I was actually reminded of this myself when, the other evening, I was dancing the night away at a friend's wedding reception. The mother of my bride-friend came over to say hello, and added, "Girl, you can dance! I was just saying to the other people at my table, 'Hey, do you know that she used to be a NUN? And they almost spit out their drinks!'" Ha!

Anyway, back to St. Dominic. He was a contemporary of St. Francis who founded the Order of Preachers, now known as the Dominicans, and a hallmark of the order is prayer and study. The order strives to contemplate, and to share with others the fruits of our contemplation. I love that!

Happy Feast Day, y'all! St. Dominic, pray for us!

Peace and all good,
Leslie

No comments:

Post a Comment