Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Advent Day 4 - Turning Gimmes into Gratitude

Hello, Coffee Talkers,

Sickness has hit my household this past week, and I think everyone's a little extra tired and edgy. Girls are a little extra whiny and argumentative, and mama is a little less patient. I had to give myself a little timeout today when I felt myself particularly annoyed with the incessant whines and complaints (which was also just before dinner, so I'm sure hunger was also a factor for all parties involved), and in my few moments of quiet in my room before the pretty little whiners tracked me down, I thought to myself, "Ugh, it seems like no matter how much I do or how many nice things I get for them, they are always whining, complaining, and ungrateful. Can't they just be thankful?" And then I realized that those same words could be coming from God to me.

Schooled.

So I simmered down a little, and am making sure we all get to bed a little earlier tonight! We all gave each other a hug and told each other some of the many blessings for which we are grateful, including the delicious meal we ate, the fireplace lit to keep us warm, and the Advent candle on our wreath to remind us that Jesus is coming. And we will all go to sleep a little more peacefully tonight than before the whining melt-down took place, because sometimes our weaknesses make way for mercy and grace. O happy fault.

Advent day 4 challenge: make a list of 4 things for which you are grateful. Post it somewhere visible, like a bulletin board or fridge. Add one more to the list during each day of Advent. Turn this into a season of grace and gratitude rather than a season of gripes and gimmes.

As always, thanks for stopping by. Be assured of my prayers.

Peace and all good,
Leslie

No comments:

Post a Comment