Monday, March 11, 2013

Lent Day 27: The Room of Tears, and The EXTRA RED SHOES!

Hello, Coffee Talkers,

I don't know about y'all, but I was fascinated when I first heard about the so-called room of tears. It is the room into which the newly elected pope is taken to get vested as the white smoke rises and the world awaits the announcement. It is called the room of tears because it is said that the man who has been elected cries when he enters the room, realizing the gravity of the office he is to undertake, the heavy burden of the papacy.

As some of you know, I have a love for good liturgical fashion. I also have a love for shoes. (Those who knew me in junior high and high school witnessed this love first hand.) So, as you may have guessed, these two loves find a most splendid meeting place in the Pope's red shoes!



Turns out they have many pairs of various sizes set aside in the room, since they don't know who will be elected. Makes sense. But this limited information leaves me with a pressing question: WHAT HAPPENS TO THE REST OF THE RED SHOES?!?

If anyone finds out, let me know ASAP! In the meantime, I just came across this cool video with footage from the now-prepared-for-the-next-Pope Room of Tears. Pretty stoked. Check it out, y'all!


The Conclave starts in just a few hours! If you want a text or e-mail notification of the white smoke rising, be sure to check out PopeAlarm.com. It looks legit, since it's run by FOCUS. And let's say a prayer together right now for the election of our next Pope:

O Lord, with suppliant humility we entreat you, that in your boundless mercy you would grant the most holy Roman Church a pontiff, who, by his zeal for us, may be pleasing to you, and by his good government may ever be honored by your people for the glory of your name. Amen.

As always, thanks for stopping by. Be assured of my prayers!

Peace and all good,
Leslie

1 comment: