Saturday, March 23, 2013

Lent Day 38: the EXCITING NEWS!!!

Hello, Coffee Talkers!

A blessed Palm Sunday of the Lord's Passion to you all! Can you believe that Holy Week is upon us? This Lent is flying by, and soon it will be the glorious season of Easter!

I know it's still a week premature for that famous chorus from Handel's Messiah, but you can hum it, at least, while I share with you two pieces of exciting news!

Exciting piece of news #1:
I'm a day away from completing the seemingly never ending writing project for the new Parish Teacher Manuals for the Faith and Life Catechetical Series, published by Ignatius Press and Catholics United for the Faith!

FAQ:
Q: What are you talking about, Leslie?
A: Faith and Life is a religion textbook series for grades 1 - 8 that has been used primarily in Catholic schools, and they're updating the series to be comprehensive for catechetical programs in Catholic parishes. I have been writing the manuals for parish teachers (catechists) to use.

Q: How did you get hired for that job, Leslie?
A: I dunno. Really.

Q: Is it as glamorous as it seems? Describe a day in the life of a parish textbook author.
A: Picture me, sitting in my pajamas late at night, hunched over my laptop in a dimly lit room, with a crazy ponytail, until my eyes start burning or feel as though they are going to fall out of my head. It is very glamorous. And I will gladly autograph your copy when those badboys are in print.

Exciting piece of news #2:
I recently got a call from a friend I know from my grad school alma mater. Haven't heard from him in years. Just had vowed to never stay up late hunched over my laptop again after the Faith and Life thing is finally done, but truthfully knew that I cannot help myself from writing about Catholic stuff, even for my own leisure. Found out said friend was calling me to help him write a book! On Catholic stuff! Helping to explain Catholic stuff to people in terms that are easy to understand! Which is pretty much my favorite thing ever!

So he started a Kickstarter campaign to help fund the book. Look. I hate asking people for money. And it's still weird to me that people would give money to help some little ol' Catholic folk write a book. So I'm not going to ask you for money. But I am going to ask for your support in promoting this campaign, not just because I've been invited to be part of the writing team, but because I genuinely think it's a great idea, and a needed resource. People in the adult classes I teach ask for this kind of resource all the time, to be honest. So if you'd like to see a resource that breaks down Catholic teachings into terms easy to understand for the Every Day Man, would you check out the project? Put in a good word with the Big Guy (God, not Daddy Warbucks...or, on second thought, maybe both??), who has all the resources needed for said project? Spread the word to others who may be interested?


As always, thanks for stopping by, and be assured of my prayers!

Peace and all good,
Leslie

No comments:

Post a Comment