Wednesday, February 21, 2018

As We Forgive Those Who Trespass Against Us

Welcome back, Coffee Talkers,

     Lent is a great time to meditate on the prayer that Jesus taught us, The Lord's Prayer, "Our Father." If you are looking for some reading materials to help you with this meditation, consider reading the beautiful passages from the Catechism of the Catholic Church on the Our Father.


     For today, I'd like to reflect briefly on the part of the prayer wherein we ask God the Father to "forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us." It's easy to rattle off those words time and time again without really considering their implications, but when we really think about the meaning of this passage it becomes a bit mysterious. Why would we ask God to forgive us in the same way we forgive others? Especially for those of us who find it hard to not hold a grudge or to forgive someone who has wronged us multiple times, this doesn't seem like the most appealing option. Is Jesus saying that God can't forgive us if we don't forgive others, or that somehow God's endless mercy is dependent upon our forgiveness of someone who has wronged us?
     This passage helps us to realize that, while God's mercy does not rely on our own willingness to forgive, we cannot receive the mercy of God without a heart that is open to forgiveness and mercy. When we hold a grudge and refuse to offer forgiveness to another, we harden our own hearts and thus impede our own ability to receive and be healed by the merciful love of God the Father.
     This week, I will focus on being more quick to forgive and giving others the benefit of the doubt. I will apologize first, even in a situation where I believe that I am "right," because I want to put being in relationship above being right. I will consider all the ways that God has forgiven me, and all the ways that my friends and family members bear with my many imperfections. I will allow this self-knowledge and humility to guide me to a place of extending forgiveness in a difficult situation.
     As always, thanks for stopping by, and be assured of my prayers.

Peace and all good,
Leslie

No comments:

Post a Comment