Wednesday, February 28, 2018

Giving the Gift of Time

Hello, Coffee Talkers!

     My apologies for not writing as frequently as originally planned -- as I mentioned in a previous post, I no longer have a computer at home, and blogging on a mobile device is not working well at all without an app available for it. In any case, I'll continue to post whenever I'm able and hope that you all are Lenting along well with or without Coffee Talk!
     Yesterday I took a personal day off from work to join one of my children as they competed in a county wide school competition. I have never taken a personal day before except for school requirements and medical leave, and was even a bit reluctant to do so as I know I'll need the time when I'm on maternity leave at the beginning of next school year. However, I figured this was one of those special moments for my child which, as a teacher myself in a different school district, I rarely get to be a part of and figured I'd regret missing the day more than I would using up a personal day. After we finished, we headed home and I was able to spend the rest of the day with all of my kids before bed time. It was so refreshing and unexpected to have some quality down time with the kiddos on a day that would normally be packed with other responsibilities. I even colored with my older kids -- something I haven't done in ages -- and we had so much fun together! It was a great reminder to me that part of our Lenten "almsgiving" can be giving the gift of quality time to our loved ones. 


     Sometimes it's so easy to get caught up in all of the obligations of daily life that it's possible to lose sight of what's really important or why we do what we do. For example, if I really put God first, family next, and work third, it helps me remember that the whole reason that I do well at my work is to serve God and to serve my family. Some of us, who are of the more 'perfectionist' and/or 'workaholic' varieties, may find it hard to 'turn off' work even when we're home. We're physically near our family members, but not always truly present, as we check our e-mails and text messages and social media apps in case there's something that someone needs outside of our home. This week, I will choose a day to fast from non-work use of electronics, e-mail, and social media. I will also plan for a reasonable daily limit to my use of those things, and outside of that I will do my best to be completely present to the needs of those around me. I will put others interests ahead of my own, and let them choose what we do together instead of being too busy or concerned with my own pursuits.
     As always, thanks for stopping by and be assured of my prayers.

Peace and all good,
Leslie

No comments:

Post a Comment