Friday, February 16, 2018

Not Turning Your Back On Your Own: The Corporal Works of Mercy

Hello again, Coffee Talkers,

     Today's daily Mass readings are short, but action packed with rich Lenten reflection materials! I'd like to comment briefly on a passage from the first reading, found in the 58th chapter of Book of the Prophet Isaiah. After mentioning that a day of quarreling, fighting, and carrying out our own pursuits is not exactly the fast or penance that the Lord had in mind, the prophet tells us what we should be doing instead:
This, rather, is the fasting that I wish:
releasing those bound unjustly,
untying the thongs of the yoke;
Setting free the oppressed,
breaking every yoke;
Sharing your bread with the hungry,
sheltering the oppressed and the homeless;
Clothing the naked when you see them,
and not turning your back on your own. (Isaiah 58:6-7)
     This touches on the corporal works of mercy , those teachings of Jesus which instruct us in treating the least of his people as we would treat Him. These works include feeding the hungry, giving drink to the thirsty, sheltering the homeless, visiting the sick and prisoners, burying the dead, and giving alms to the poor. These are all very noble practices, and it's good to consider how we can up the ante of our corporal works of mercy during Lent. Some of these activities, of course, take some time and preparation -- for example, I used to volunteer as a visitor in ministry to the young men in the juvenile detention center in the high desert of Southern California. That took some time to get fingerprinted, trained, etc. Also, it may be a similar process to be a regular volunteer at a soup kitchen or homeless shelter. These are really worthwhile outreaches to consider, but not all of us are at a time or place in life to do those things.
     However, the last line of the reading really touches on the one thing we can all do, right now, right away -- "not turning your back on your own." For example, my older kids are pretty self-sufficient in many ways but between them and our 18-month-old twins and a baby on the way, there's plenty of clothing the naked, feeding the hungry, and giving drink to the thirsty to keep us busy for quite some time in my household! If I were to go out to visit the homeless, but to the detriment of my own family, this is not necessarily the fast or penance that the Lord desires. Yes, we can go beyond the scope of our own homes and families, but if we haven't met the needs there first then let's reprioritize. What are some ways I can be more present to the needs of my husband and children today? How can I meet the needs and extend care to my extended family members? What about my friends, and the people in my workplace? Are there needs that I can meet by making a sacrifice of my time, talent, and treasure?
     As always, thanks for stopping by, and be assured of my prayers.

Peace and all good,
Leslie

No comments:

Post a Comment