Thursday, February 15, 2018

Shhhh... A Lenten Secret!

Hello again, Coffee Talkers!

     In the Gospel according to Matthew, Jesus tells us to pray and fast in secret. There are a few things about this passage that I've been reflecting on this morning. First, the secret part -- a lot of people say, "If you're supposed to be doing this all in secret, why the ashes on the forehead bit?" Well, ashes on the forehead is a sign of the beginning of a penitential season -- read more about the Biblical theology of ashes here if you'd like -- but we don't display ashes on our heads every day of Lent. There are lots of things about praying and fasting in secret that could be said here, but the one thing I want to focus on today is the fact that praying and fasting in secret makes it completely possible for anyone, anytime, and in any place, to participate in the practices of prayer and fasting, regardless of our external circumstances. I've had a few non-Catholic friends even ask me if it's okay to participate in some (or all) of the Catholic practices of prayer, fasting, and almsgiving during this season when we recall Jesus' own fasting and prayer in the desert. The answer, of course, is yes! No one else needs to know, because "your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you" (Mt. 6:18).
     Next, regarding prayer and fasting, I've been thinking today about how both of these practices are aimed at strengthening our reliance on the nourishment we need physically and spiritually from food and from God's Word. Lent is a time, therefore, to reevaluate our current relationship with food and with the intake of words or messages. When I say that we should examine our relationship with food, I don't mean in an Oprah-esque talk-show therapy kind of way, but rather to evaluate how we eat and to what extent we consider where the food comes from, how it nourishes our bodies, and to what extent we are grateful for the gift of food we have been given. This morning, this sight really brought to life the Scripture in which the Psalmist asks the Lord to "give success to the work of our hands."
Do I regularly appreciate the work, both Divine and human, that goes into producing the food I eat each day? Today, I'll give up one food that does not nourish the body well, and more thoughtfully eat and appreciate one that does.
     In terms of prayer, I now turn to my relationship with words and with God's Word. What kinds of words and messages do I take in each day, and to what extent do they give me upset or peace? How much do the words or messages offer me spiritual nourishment, or rob me of spiritual good? Today, I'll spend a few more minutes reflecting on the daily Bible readings from Mass, and a few less minutes scrolling through my Facebook feed.
     As always, thanks for stopping by, and be assured of my prayers.

Peace and all good,
Leslie

No comments:

Post a Comment