Saturday, April 2, 2011

Feeling Like a Real Writer!

Hello, Coffee Talkers!

I just picked up my mail, and received a stipend from an article I recently had published in Lay Witness, the magazine published by Catholics United for the Faith. I must admit -- I'm pretty stoked! It makes me feel like I'm a real writer or something. I mean, I think that getting paid for writing something makes it semi-professional, right? The article isn't available online at this point, but if it ever pops up, I'll let y'all know.
I've actually been writing book reviews for the magazine for about 5 years, and back in the days flowing with milk and honey they paid for reviews, as well. But then the downturn of the economy and trimming down of print media publications took away the review stipends, so I continued to review for the love of reading and writing (and getting a free book and being published aren't too shabby, either). However, having a feature article published was a first and getting paid for it -- well, I certainly won't be quitting my day job, but I am grateful to say the least!

I have come to the realization that the things I enjoy doing and am good at generally don't involve making any money (the only thing that could have been less financially lucrative than my undergraduate degree in music was my master's degree in theology), but God always provides for my needs and I feel very blessed and grateful to be actively engaged in my three favorite fields of music, theology, and writing.

What do you count among your blessings today? Share them in the comment box!

Peace and all good,
Leslie

1 comment: