Thursday, April 21, 2011

A New Commandment I Give Unto You

Hello, Coffee Talkers!

We have entered the Triduum, the Holy Days leading up to Easter, and I am already exhausted. I work for the Church, so this is undoubtedly the busiest time of year. A good, but tiring, busy. So I'll share just a brief reflection on Holy Thursday.

Many people know that Catholics see Holy Thursday as a commemoration of the institution of the priesthood and the Eucharist, and it is both. But one another very significant aspect of the day can be more clearly seen from the older name for the day -- Maundy Thursday. The term 'Maundy' comes from the Latin mandatum, which is the first word of Jesus' words to the Apostles when explaining to them the significance of washing their feet: "Mandatum novum do vobis ut diligatis invicem sicut dilexi vos" -- "A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you" (John 13:34).

This is Jesus new commandment -- LOVE. Let us enter into this mystery as we journey toward Easter.

Peace and all good,
Leslie

No comments:

Post a Comment