Saturday, February 23, 2013

Lent Day 11: Singing In the Reign -- It's Umbrella Time!

Hello, Coffee Talkers!

Most of you are probably familiar with the Vatican logo, featuring the papal tiara atop two keys; it's the one you see on the Vatican flag, and elsewhere:

But did you know that during the time between Popes, known as the interregnum, they change the logo? I mean, they don't change the flags, obviously, but the official letterhead of Vatican documents and the masthead of L'Osservatore Romano (the daily newspaper of the Holy See) will reflect this change.

In the logo used between reigns, the keys remain, but the tiara is replaced by a cute little umbrella. It is said that the umbrella symbolizes the lack of a pope, but I'm not sure why. Perhaps we're saving a shady spot for the next guy? If anyone finds out, let me know! But for now, without any further ado, check out the logo during the interregnum!

It kinda makes me think of a carousel!
Also, the Vatican apparently releases some stamps with the logo, too, during the interregnum, so if anyone could pick up a few for me, I'd be most appreciative!

As always, thanks for stopping by, and be assured of my prayers.

Peace and all good,
Leslie

No comments:

Post a Comment