Sunday, May 15, 2011

Good Shepherd Sunday & Catechesis of the Good Shepherd

Happy Good Shepherd Sunday, Coffee Talkers!


Today is called "Good Shepherd" Sunday because of the readings of the day, and in particular the Gospel, which is taken from that of St. John, chapter 10, verses 11-16:
"I am the good Shepherd. The good Shepherd gives His life for His sheep. But the hireling, and he that is not the shepherd, who own the sheep are not, sees the wolf coming and leaves the sheep and flees: and the wolf catches and scatters the sheep: and the hireling flees, because he is a hireling, and he has no care for the sheep. I am the good Shepherd: and I know Mine, and Mine know Me. As the Father knows Me, and I know the Father: and I lay down My life for My sheep. And other sheep I have that are not of this fold: them also I must bring, and they shall hear My voice, and there shall be one fold and one shepherd."
It also celebrated as vocations Sunday. I have many thoughts and reflections on today's readings, the image of the Good Shepherd, and vocation. But they shall wait for another day -- resting must commence!

Lastly, have you ever heard of the Catechesis of the Good Shepherd? It is a beautiful and sensorially rich approach to the religious education of young children (ages 3 to 12) rooted in Scripture, liturgy, and the educational principles of Maria Montessori. It is wonderful! (I am hopeful that we will be able to get some people trained in this method so that we can bring to our parish before my own girls are too old for it -- any takers?) Check it out by clicking here!

As always, thanks for stopping by! Be assured of my prayers.

Peace and all good,
Leslie

No comments:

Post a Comment