Monday, March 7, 2011

A Pope and A Cardinal and Lent -- Oh, My!

Well, Coffee Talkers, I hate to be the one to break it to you, but it's almost Ash Wednesday. Day after tomorrow, people. It's been a rude awakening for me. So while you're enjoying your Fat Tuesday (or the final stretch of 'Fat Since the Christmas and New Year Holidays'), why not take a little time to consider what Lenten practices you might take on this year?

At confirmation class tonight, we catechists spent the evening helping the teens to understand Lent and to consider different ways that they could make personal the traditional Lenten practices of prayer, fasting, and almsgiving. And there's always that moment in teaching when I realize that I need to be doing this, too.

I once read something about Lent that has stayed with me ever since -- our earthly lives can be seen as a perpetual Lent, preparing us for the eternal Easter. Isn't that amazing?

Anyway, if any of y'all need a little something to inspire your selection of Lenten practices like I do, here are a couple great reads I came across today. First, Cardinal Roger Mahony blogged about temptations on the internet, and gives an excellent examination of conscience in this realm to help us prepare for our Lenten journey.

Also, Pope Benedict XVI gave his annual Lenten address, in which he emphasized Lent as a season to give up selfishness -- ain't that the truth! I wish chocolate was enough, but leave it to BXVI to get to the heart of the matter.

As always, be assured of my prayers for all of you in the blogosphere!

Peace and all good,
Leslie

No comments:

Post a Comment